A Life's Journey in Public Health
I first
became interested in public health when I was a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) in
a rural town in South Korea in the early 1970s.
Korea was a relatively poor and undeveloped country then. I was assigned as a middle school English
teacher. Another PCV in my area was
assigned to a rural health clinic. We
talked a lot about the treatment of TB and leprosy patients. I was particularly
interested in the TB program. As a PCV, I visited remote villages where the
elders suffered from TB. Skinny old men in tee shirts sat on the porches of their mud-walled huts wasting away from TB. Each cough spewed infectious bacilli into the air. Our Peace Corps health program was designed to ensure
that patients were regularly taking their TB medicines, instead of
discontinuing when they started “to feel fine”. The combination of rural
sociology, primary health care and cross-cultural dynamics fascinated me.
In 1977-78, I
attended the School for International Training in Brattleboro, Vermont. One of
the requirements for the Masters in International Administration was a
six-month internship. I was sent by Catholic
Relief Services (CRS) to Semarang, Indonesia where I opened and operated a
field office to supervise USAID programs in East and Central Java. We implemented a Maternal Child Health
Project that included infant care, growth monitoring, mothers’ education and
supplementary feeding. I managed all aspects
of the program, including the administrative aspects, as well as the compliance
monitoring. My key concern was to ensure successful outcomes from the program –
healthy, normal weight babies and knowledgeable mothers. This program,
which intervened in children’s health at an early age, provided a robust
economic return over the lifetime of the individual. I thought it also provided an excellent
return on the US investment.
After a year
in Indonesia, I was transferred to Manila, the Philippines where I supervised a
nation-wide nutrition program. I
travelled the whole archipelago, visiting MCH centers, leper colonies, and
school feeding programs. I realized that
extreme poverty was at the root of many problems and that health interventions
were not enough to improve the lives of the rural poor. Investments in water supply and sanitation,
and in basic education, supported by strong institutions and pro-poor policies are
equally important.
While working
in the Asian Development Bank, I was able to use my experience as the manager
of a social sector division that designed and implemented health, and education
projects throughout Asia. We refocused
our agency’s health sector strategy from investing in urban, tertiary care to
one focusing on primary care. (We faced
an interesting challenge trying to convince our “authorities” that investments
in primary health have strong economic returns). My colleagues and I devised
health sector strategies for each country with an interest in borrowing for health
projects. I worked on a range of projects to strengthen national health care
systems, including HIIV/AIDS interventions that focused on ethnic minority
populations living in the border regions of the Mekong Sub-region, and primary
health projects that promoted “contracting out” of services to non-government
agencies. During the 1997 financial
crisis in Thailand, we developed a policy-based project designed to protect the
central government’s budget for HIV/AIDS and promote gradual decentralization
of government hospital administration.
I took home
several lessons from my work at ADB. To
improve health outcomes, the entire health delivery system must be
strengthened. This includes building
physical assets to provide access, but also designing effective management
systems, training and motivating personnel, and addressing
demand-constraints. One simple example -
a women’s clinic in Vietnam had no waiting room to provide clients shelter and
privacy while waiting for their consultations. Women had to wait in the hot sun
in front of the clinics, exposed to the entire community. Improving privacy by installing a comfortable waiting
room was an easy way to convince women to optimize use of the clinic. I also
came to the conclusion that the health sectors in developing countries were
highly fragmented, with a plethora of international donors and non-government
organizations supporting too many small, vertical projects rather than systemic
strengthening of health sector
institutions, which are often among the weakest of national institutions. The leadership ranks in many developing
countries are also very thin, making training an important component of
capacity building.
I moved to
North Carolina in 2007 and began working with the Executive Service Corps of
the Greater Triangle. I have been assigned to several projects to strengthen
the operations of health-sector non-profits.
Recently, I have been working with community health centers that provide
low-cost services to underserved populations. I was surprised to find that
these agencies face similar problems to those in the developing world. I also learned that health disparities in
North Carolina are not too different from those in the developing world – poor
and marginalized peoples face a disproportionate burden of poor health. Mental
health services are underfunded and community health centers are burdened by
bureaucracy. Families in North Carolina
have been steadily losing their health insurance as jobs in traditional sectors
have been disappearing. Effective interventions have to be designed to overcome
these disparities. Like the clinic in
Vietnam, providing the uninsured with accessible, quality services will likely increase
their use of the facilities.
During
September to December 2010, I had a professional opportunity to assist a free
clinic in Moore County, NC to prepare a plan to become a federally qualified
health center. I was excited to use my
experience and new knowledge from the UNC Gillings School of Public Health to analyze
the health issues in the county, the strengths and weaknesses of the clinic,
county demographics, and economic trends in preparing the project. I am hoping the clinic will be selected for
federal funding as this will allow an expansion from about 900 to about 4,000 patients.
These days I have been working with the Gillings School of Global Public Health to design a new global health issues program, undertaking a systematic review of quality improvement interventions focusing on maternal mortality and thinking about a monitoring and evaluation program for a mental health program in Madhya Pradesh, India.
.... Ed
No comments:
Post a Comment